Old March 17th 21, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Groundloop accident at the Senior Contest

On 3/16/2021 9:34 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I don't know anything about the accident, but often wonder if a
steerable tail wheel would reduce the number ground loops while towing.
Having a steerable tail wheel on my ASH26E really made an impression on
me - no more being a passenger on a ballistic aircraft.

More important for directional control is the weight on the tail
skid/wheel. A tailwheel (steerable or fixed) doesn't help much
without enough weight in back, which cannot be easily accomplished
without the gear swinging well forward and other design considerations.

Most important is to practice grabbing that release handle,
and expect to have to do it during launch. I lost count of how
many times I had to pull the plug, usually because of poor
tug acceleration and/or poor wing-run. These days when taking a
tow in a motorglider, I take off wing down (on the tip wheel)
to avoid the wing-drop excitement.

Hope that helps!
Best Regards, Dave