Old July 10th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Harry Andreas

Default Lightning II: So Far, So Good

In article , Herbert Viola
wrote:

In article ,
"Flashnews" wrote:

In the latest Code One the JSF is shown coming out of the page carrying
wing tanks, weapons, racks, pods, all external. You could exchange the
picture for an A-4, Harrier, Jaguar, and F-4, an F-18, F-14, F-15 or
F-16 and perhaps even a Eurofighter - all of which (all of which) have
some superior quality over the JSF. It is a nice new jet, has lots of
stealth (we are told) but for the moment - someone tell me - what does
it do better. Then down the road - it will also be far short of what we
will need - so what the heck are we doing except spending money. Note
that now out of fear the Navy is spending more good money to actually
cut up and crush the retired F-14's desperate never to allow them to be
brought back. The F-35 may be the nicest new jet but for what purpose
does it serve??

8 SDBs and 2 AMRAAMs carried internally, giving you stealth, self-defense and
tremendous destructive power against ground targets. And a great AESA

radar. Its
a pretty good plane. It serves the purpose of using stealth to survive

the CAS
and strike mission in future battlefields while offering significant air

to air
abilities.

WADR, whether it's a "pretty good plane" with a "great AESA radar" remains to
be seen. It's had how many flights?
It's not even operational. A little early to be making judgements like that.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur