Old June 3rd 11, 12:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

Default UK1 P9385 Supermarine SpitfireMkIC 1940orLater.jpg

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:29:09 +0100, wrote
(in article ) :

Thanks. PRU did cross my mind: apparently no guns, and the canopy blisters,
plus what appear to be obvious modifications/new acess hatches for cameras
below the fuselage roundel and the "76." The dirty exhaust over PRU pink
would make for a fabulous model: too bad the shot's not in color!

I too was intrigued by the 76 code and went looking about to see what was out
there.

I couldn't find any explanation of the numerical code but, reportedly, the
aircraft belonged to No 8 OTU and was more a dirty white or off-white colour.
And, if it's modelling you want to do, have a look at:

http://www.theaviationworkshop.co.uk...-early-merlin-
engine-schemes-p-148.html

Or, if that URL is too long for anyone, try:

http://tinyurl.com/3onqaj5