View Single Post
Old February 25th 16, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 6:53:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 1:11:48 PM UTC, Surge wrote:
If the design is right, a brushless electric motor should outlast a combustion engine many times over even with zero maintenance.

"should" - but I know of a case where that is not so, which is why I suggest caution before accepting very optimistic claims about electric glider reliability.

Well, let's see..Nothing really is 100% reliable in this world especially in the world of sustainers and self-launchers. At home if I flip a light switch I cannot be 100% sure that the light will come on...Now, it probably will and it is probably 99.99% reliable, but there is no real guarantee and things can go wrong....

I brought the first FES on a LAK-17b into the US over 4 years ago. I have started it many dozens of time (I always start it on the ground before flight as a pre-flight check). It has never failed me, but I also know that the next time it might not start. What I also know is that if does not start I am still a "pure" glider and there is no additional drag penalty to worry about, so I can just proceed and hope for a thermal or if not, simply make a normal landing.

We all know there are no guarantees, but when it comes to reliability and simplicity IMHO I continue to strongly favor the FES over any other sort of sustainer system. Now, tomorrow someone may develop a better mousetrap, but for me and for now, the FES is the "answer."

Finally, on the maintenance question, there essentially is no maintenance for the FES. I fly in New Mexico and have not seen any dirt or dust issues. I realize 4 years is not too long a period for an evaluation, but I will report back in the coming years if any maintenance issues surface.

Thanks - Renny