Old May 25th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Default Busted TFR, what to expect?

Peter R. wrote:

Newps wrote:

I'm like you, rarely check notams. When prez/vice prez are anywhere in
the state it's big news and you'll hear about it.

Are there ever TFRs in Montana?

Sure. We are in a prime forest fire area. Fire TFR's are small,
usually a 5 mile radius around the fire and a few thousand feet agl.
Those TFR's are easy to avoid, just don't fly very low over smoke and
you won't have to worry about it. Cheney comes to Billings every August
from Jackson on AF2, he then hops on the Blackhawk or Chinook and flies
to Fort Smith for some trout fishing on the world famous Bighorn River.
There's a TFR here at the airport while he's actually here. They then
fly VFR in the helicopters to the river, 40 miles SE of BIL at about
1500 agl. There's a small TFR over the cabins they rent, 5 miles and a
few thousand feet I think. When the prez comes to Montana therre's only
about five places they will go and you'll hgere about it a week in
advance on the local news and in the paper. When Cheney is at his home
in JAC there will be F16's watching the TFR there. You'll occasionally
hear the F16 pilots over JAC here in the tower at BIL as they try to
contact the wayward spamcan pilot on 121.5 and shoo him away from the TFR.