Old June 4th 20, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 1:17:30 PM UTC-4, Hightime wrote:
If you don’t physically push (lightly ) up on canopy after it is closed and locked you will have a inflight opening eventually. A tried and true failsafe
Just watch and see who at your club is actually doing that final crucial piece of the puzzle
Once I pushed lightly up just before launch and couldn’t believe I had forgotten to lock the canopy , it was at a different airport and things were different , or I was , I had opened the canopy more then once The final push revealed the sin
Watch for sinners and tongue lash them

It is more likely that it is what you don't do than what you do that creates the bigger problem. Having the canopy latched is different than having the canopy latched and locked. Again, if you lose sight of the tow plane simply release immediately.