Old April 5th 21, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Vc gear difficulty

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 10:07:24 AM UTC-4, Phoenix wrote:
On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 9:51:57 AM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 5:49:19 AM UTC-6, Phoenix wrote:
Anyone have a solution as to why my gear is so VERY difficult to retract / extend on my Ventus c? It's the very last 10% trying to get the lever into the indent that's the problem.

1. Check and lube all the sliding tube and linkages.
2. Check that the cotter pin is installed correctly on the end of the axel. It should not have sharp edges exposed. This can bind on the gear door.. Signs of wear or scratching on the door are an indication of a problem. I have installed UHMW slides on the doors to help with this.
3. Have a mechanic that is familiar with S-H gliders adjust the gear mechanism.
4. Adjust your padding in the cockpit to make sure you can reach both ends of the gear swing with enough force to swing the gear.

Thanks for the tips, Tim. By the way, what is "UHMW"?

Ultra high molecular weight.....usually a milky white slippery plastic/polyethylene. Sometimes found in the bottom of a spar box to allow sliding the wing spars in easier and resisting wear.