Old August 14th 13, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Absurdity of US Rules (in fairness to FAI)

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:39:41 PM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:
I like the free start height option. It goes nicely with open start times and will really reward pilots for finding and centering lift. Also may break up the pack and provide interesting tactics.

And sorry for the title of my thread but the beating IGC rules are taking on RAS and in other mediums from certain US pilots needed some balance ;-).
Sean

F2

Unlimited start heights are unfair to the guy/girl at the back of the grid. Minden and even Hobbs on occasion have cloudbases above 17,500'. All 8 IGC contests I have flown have used height limited starts- usually 1200-2000m.
Richard Walters