Old August 14th 13, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Default Absurdity of US Rules (in fairness to FAI)

Użytkownik napisał:

The Europeans have a remarkably sensible solution (in my opinion). If
a maximum start height is set, it is simply required that pilots have
a single fix BELOW the start height between the time of the start
gate opening (usually ~20 minutes after last launch) until the time
they actually cross the start line. So you can climb into wave as
high as you like and start as high as you like, as long as you do it
after the start gate has opened. If you're in the wave before the
start gate opens, you have to come down and then climb up again like
those who launched later.

This is not actually "European" rule, but one used in Poland and
included in EGC/JWGC Local Procedures. For me it's both fair and safe,
however it is used only if we expect wave conditions. For most days,
there's no start altitude limit at all, as the cloudbase/liftbase limits
it for us.

--
Wojtuś