Old March 23rd 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

Comment period ends 5 April. It would require an inspection within 60 days to ensure the elevator control attachment slot on the vertical stab be measured. One which caused a fatal crash in UK last year was found to have been enlarged. If the cut-out has been enlarged, the factory must be informed and it would have to be fixed before the next flight. Details at https://ad..easa.europa.eu/ad/18-038 , including a link for the AD as a PDF.

From a comment on the SZD-55 Yahoo! Group (my group but not my comment):
"From various informal discussions I have had, there seems to be potential for significant variation in the size of the elevator slot on different aircraft. If this is the case, I would expect a large number of owners who are subject to EASA regulations to have to modify their aircraft within 60 days if they are to remain airworthy."

I don't know if the U.S. treats EASA AD's like Canada, but up here, they apply. I know of two 55's which have been informally measured and happily found to be unaltered; they will still require a quick look and logbook entry by our mechanic.