Old October 24th 05, 11:05 PM
Jim Burns

Default Engine failure

Yep, happened last summer. Surface temps were around 70. It totally
freaked this guy out. So bad that it became one of the reasons he sold the
plane. (not a valid reason in my book, but to each his own.)

From a teaching stand point, especially to renter pilots, I've always taught
to use it on landings. Keep the procedures as similar as possible between
airplanes unless there is a good reason to deviate.

I've only needed carb heat once. It was IMC, in the spring, in an Archer.

Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

This happened in SUMMER?

Very weird. In our plane, the carb heat is checked prior to take-off,
and never touched again. In fact, I've only activated carb heat once
in flight (in ten years and 1500 hours) in ANY flavored Cherokee -- and
that was just an experiment.

Cessnas are another animal altogether, of course.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA