Old January 14th 04, 08:01 PM
Jim

Great points. Another would be the relatively small amount of fuel they
hold compared to the semi tractors running the roads these days. When
room so they can put on up to 300 gallons of diesel fuel. Much much more
than your typical 172.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Max T, CFI" wrote in message
Here's the email I sent to our CBS channel 5 in S.F. last night.
So far no response.
Max T, MCFI

Brian,
Regarding the teaser for Wednesday's CBS Evening News:
"There are thousands of general aviation airstrips around the country with

little or no security. How can that be after
9-11? We'll have the story on Wednesday's CBS Evening News."

You might want to consider on the local news going to a local airport and

showing people how small these planes are,
how little they carry, and hence how tiny a threat they are compared to

airliners carrying thousands of gallons of
gasoline.

From the
www.aopa.org website, AOPA President Phil Boyer testified before
congress in 2001 that "in this national
tragedy, it was airline security that was breached, and airline transport

category equipment used as weapons. However,
general aviation was the last allowed to return to the sky, and not all GA

is yet flying. "We're not talking about big
airplanes," Boyer told Congress. "We're talking about 4-place,

single-engine aircraft that are on average 30 years old,
cost the same as a car, and have the same weight and kinetic energy of a

car."

You only have to look at the pictures of the Cessna that the teenager flew

into a building in Tampa to see that these
planes are incapable of causing much damage. Most of these planes carry

so little fuel they don't even burn when
there's an accident.

Give me a call if you want to talk further. I'll be in a meeting from

9-11AM, but should otherwise be free.
best regards,
xxxxx