Old August 19th 05, 04:34 PM
Cy Galley

Shouldn't be much nitrate anymore unless you have cotton.

Join your local EAA chapter and find out who has or is building a tube and
fabric plane. They should be able to assist you.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair
"mhorowit" wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend lent me an OA rig so I could learn to weld. Lots of good
material in the library and on the NGs. But all that welding is done on
a welding bench, at a comfortable height. Apparently one does not have
to get near an airframe to get a certificate to weld 4130 with OA.

How does a welder learn how to weld on a built and covered fuselage
(say on fabric/steel)? How does he know how much fabric has to be
removed to insure his heating doesn't screw up glue adhesion? How does
he learn how to protect the nitrate from going up in flames from
sparks? How does he learn the tricks to weld all around a splice
without standing on his head or laying on his back?
-
Mike