Old October 18th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KM

Default Re-curving mylar on a glider

wrote:
Unless you've ot a *really* long oven, that leaves you with
a lot of small pieces, no ?

Dave, you are correct, the pieces are just over two feet long.I use a
peice of the 850 mylar tape at every joint.The main motivation for
doing this is to get a thinner seal.I use 7 mil sheets (I have heard
some guys go a little thinner), and all of the commecial seals that I
have found are 10 mil or bigger.I bought my ship from a guy who was
good freinds with Wil Shumman (SP?), and this is where the idea
originated.Wil Shumman did alot of work on airflow and wing profiles
and such, and he felt thinner would be better.Now I am not an
aerodymamical engineer, so maybe I am just perpetuating folklore, but
these seals work pretty good for me and they seem to provide a little
less control friction.

Its a lot nicer (and easier to apply
with proper technique) to have longer strips, no ?

No argument on the easier part . Actually, I use a homeade jig to cut
the strips (Then carefully shave the edges smooth) and a template to
install each strip and it comes out looking pretty clean.Usually guys
have to look very close to see that there are a bunch of peices of
mylar, and not one continual strip.A little practice doesnt hurt.I fly
an ASW20 in some pretty good desert conditions, so I am at high speeds
quite often, and I have never had a problem.

Best Regards, Dave

Best Regards, K Urban