Old August 25th 17, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Whitehead

Default Anyone Ground-Launched a Russia Glider?

On Friday, 25 August 2017 06:00:47 UTC+1, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 9:05:04 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello,

I fly out of Hobbs, NM where we don't have a tow plane. We launch strictly by auto-tow. I am interested in a Russia AC-4B but am not comfortable ground launching from a nose hook. We currently fly Schweizer 1-26's and a 2-33, which has the hook located between the nose and the CG. When you climb high enough you can get a porpoising effect due to the tail stalling & unstalling. I would imagine this only gets worse with a hook in the nose, but I can't find anyone who has done it. The manual indicates that it can be done, but I wonder how much height you have to give up due to the hook location. I am also a little concerned about the angle being too sharp on the nose hook and possibly keeping it from releasing.

Has anyone flown (or seen) a Russia glider ground launched by the nose hook?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Stephen, I would advise strongly against it. The only exception would be a "nose" hook with a back release like the Twin Lark IS28B2 (which also has a proper winch hook). You would, in that case, get a lousy launch but it shouldn't kill you. I wouldnt let my son use such an arrangement, and it also fails the "I would try it myself" test. Run a mile. I own five old gliders, two of which have the "compromise" hook, and they certainly do the porpoising on the winch or aut-tow as you describe. I have two IS29d's, one with just a compromise hook and the other with a "winch hook" as well, the difference on the launch ( height as well as behaviour) is huge.
The wheel has been invented, go for a round one, not a square one. Pete