Old September 11th 18, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Too many accidents

George Haeh wrote on 9/10/2018 12:57 PM:
So how does one demonstrate or practice a spin or incipient spin without "misusing" the rudder?

[Puchaz excepted]

In my ASW 20C and ASH 26 E, I could easily get a wing drop from coordinated
flight. I never let either enter a full spin, but always recovered at less than a
quarter turn. Easy to do: I circle at about 20 degree bank while continuously
slowing down, always maintaining coordinated flight; at some point as I slow, the
inner wing will drop and can not be picked up with the ailerons. So, spin entry
with no rudder misuse, just flying too slowly in a turn.

The above is harder to do at 30 degree bank, and I couldn't get it too happen at
40-45 degree bank. I did not experiment with different CG positions - mine was a
bit towards the aft side, but not near the rear limit.