Old September 2nd 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Peter R. writes:

My understanding of the accident at Tenerife is that it had more to do with
a fateful heterodyne and a captain who was asserting his own way, rather
than misunderstood communications.

Some of the words on the cockpit recording are impossible to
understand even today. That's pretty strong evidence that
misunderstood communications had an important role in this accident.
In fact, there are several instances of misunderstood radio
communication involved.