Old April 3rd 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

Default Cirrus Owner Tell His Story

On 2008-04-03, clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:
Not JUST zoom, but there are some out there who think Zoom is da bomb,
and will repeat, support whatever he says.

I'm not one of them, and anyone who thinks I am is just plain wrong.

Get the facts (you won't get them from Zoom) then assess what the
danger is.

I'm watching AOPA and EAA. I think they're trustworthy. I haven't even read
Zoom's version of the story.

Florida can not tax a plane or any other item NOT owned or controlled
by "Floridians" - they define who a "Floridian" is. If you have no
business presence in Florida, own no property there, and do not have a
"permanent" address there, it is pretty unlikely they would have a leg
to stand on taxing your proiperty.

However, they appear to have done it anyway, based on the stories that have
been posted here.

However, if they say, as they have, that they will have NO enforcement
presence at Sun 'n Fun, you can bank on it.

Nobody can bank on anything a government says when it says that it will pass
on collecting tax revenue.

After publicly stating they will not, they have NO CHANCE of winning
in court if they try to enforce a tax at that venue. ANd the court of
Public Opinion would crucify them. In the current financial
environment they need all the Positive Press they can get, and all the
tourist dollars. It would be nothing short of suicide economically to
do anything stupid.

You're assuming that governments act sensibly. Too often, they don't.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)