Old December 4th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default Glide computer review

On Dec 4, 10:53*am, Itsaplane wrote:
I'm looking for a ship to buy and find that I don't have much
perspective in evaluating various glide computers. *Is there an
existing and comprehensive glide computer review?

My doubtlessly flawed view of the glide computer universe divides
things into two main groups - panel mounted and PDA-based. *Another
way to divide things might be between moving map and non-moving map
systems. *I'm sure the type of flying is an important in this choice -
contests vs. general XC flying for example.

At the least, I'm hoping for some guidance to distinguish the
Cambridge 302 and the Ilec SN-10B. *What else deserves to be
evaluated? *Also, are things moving in a particular direction -- like
large super bright (vs. PDA's) built in displays? *Having components
that would be useful for doing that later would be plus.

I value: ease of use, readability in sunlight, the ability to monitor
multiple landing options simultaneously, no 250 turn point limitation
(L-Nav), and reliable wind data. *I like to fly into areas I've never
been to before and haven't done contests - but might.

Thanks to all who will take a crack at this,

Eric
ER

Eric,

Consider a CAI 302 with a Caggy Aero Ultimate

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate.htm

Call if you want to talk about different options, I have used and
tested in flight most of the options available.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com