Old September 10th 14, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

Default Pilot with Hypoxia talking with ATC - this ends well

I am a dealer for Mountain High Oxygen systems at Moriarty. A few years ago, a visiting pilot asked for a simple system to use while flying in the high desert air we enjoy in New Mexico. I set him up with the basic, manually adjustable MH system, which requires the pilot to match his altitude with the O2 system flowmeter to ensure proper O2 delivery.

The pilot, who we will just call "ND" (Not Disclosed) was heard on the radio singing, "Thiss is Noooovemmmmber Dellllta, down here at Carrrrizoooozo, doin' WOOOONDERFUUULLL!"

I Immediately YELLED "November Delta! TURN UP YOUR OXYGEN FLOW! YOU SOUND TOO WONDERFUL!"

After a few tense minutes, a voice said, clearly and calmly, "This is November Delta, doing fine at Carrizozo. And whoever said that, thanks. The world is in color again."

I breathed a sigh of relief. (It was a 17,500 ft. day.)

Moral of the story: What ever Oxygen system you use, make sure you are checked out on it, and if it is a manual system, monitor it often, and don't get too concerned about reducing the flow if you start to get low. Oxygen generally won't hurt you, especially if you are accustomed to flying at lower altitudes and now you are up at a high environment flying site.

Better to waste a little brain gas than get stupid through trying to conserve just a bit of gas that is virtually free at most glider ports. Even if the fill costs $30 or $40, it is a lot cheaper than a funeral.

Just as a point of information: I got 128 hours of airtime in 2013. I was on Oxygen for 119 of those hours.