Old June 2nd 20, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 5:24:27 PM UTC-5, Hightime wrote:
I have been flying gliders for a long time and only enter low tow for training to test the students ability to stay in control during aerotow , what I don’t understand is how would low tow be safer . Do you take off and then immediately push down through the prop wash to the low tow position ? 300 AGL is a most critical time due to low level turbulence and height , is this the time to be pushing through propwash to low tow ?

Yes, you stay 3 feet above ground and wait until tow plane climbs to proper low tow position.