Old June 2nd 20, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

As I have said before, I am a firm believer in the KISS principle until it has been proven to me that another approach needs to be taken. And, then, that approach should use only the least complex solution available. I earned my living as a design engineer for over 40 years, so this is not my first rodeo.

Tom

I am a firm advocate of low tow, having flown many tows in both positions over the last 40 years. In high density-altitude conditions and/or with a weak towplane, I believe low tow offers superior aerodynamic efficiency. Having said that, when a sailplane pilot loses control and initiates a kiting scenario, things happen so quickly that there is probably little benefit to being in low tow.

Mike