Old February 17th 05, 05:15 AM
Ted Wagner

I read that Gimli Glider write-up and was amazed. I knew about the incident
but hadn't seen this detailed (or well written) of an account.

A couple of things jumped out at me:

snip using 1.77 pounds/liter as the specific gravity factor. This was the
factor written on the refueler's slip and used on all of the other planes in
Air Canada's fleet. The factor the refuelers and the crew should have used
on the brand new, all-metric 767 was .8 kg/liter of kerosene. /snip

If my college physics was correct, 1.77 pounds = 0.8 kg. I assume there's a
typo in that paragraph!

snip As Pearson began gliding the big bird, Quintal "got busy" in the
manuals looking for procedures for dealing with the loss of both engines.
There were none.. Neither he nor Pearson nor any other 767 pilot had ever
been trained on this contingency /snip

I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that. The FIRST thing I was taught
in my brief career as a powered flight student was the contingencies of no
engine power from the moment one pushed the throttle forwarded to the moment
one was finished taxiing.

Wow.

2NO

"keithw" wrote in message

Another story of a commercial airliner becoming a glider is the Gimli
Glider that occured in Canada . The Boeing 767 ran out of fuel at
41,000 ft and ended up landing at an old abandoned airport that had
been converted to a drag strip/race track ..While a race was going on
!!!!

IF you have never read this story before take a few minutes and click
on the link below ....its an incredible story !! The Pilot was also
glider pilot and used a side slip on a 767 on final !!

http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/gimli.html

--
keithw
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they