Old January 18th 12, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Manual

On Jan 17, 9:55 pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I've been flying gliders in the US since 1976, and I don't recall having
the manual on board ever being a safety or enforcement issue. Does
anyone know of an incident involving having a manual on board?

It turns out that the LS8 manual is listed on the Minimum Equipment
list, in an approved section of the manual. Since in 4-up format it
only measures 4.25 by 5.5 inches, weighs just a few ounces, and
disappears in the pouch behind the seat, it's easy to carry it. Why
risk exposing yourself to bureaucratic grief over something that
inconsequential? Even if the lack of a manual hasn't been the subject
of a safety or enforcement action in the US yet, Mr. Murphy never
rests...

-John