Old November 12th 04, 12:53 AM
Gary Knutson

Gary Knutson wrote:

Neal Fulco wrote:

(Leon McAtee) wrote in message
. com...

(Neal Fulco) wrote in message

Years ago I sold my Quickie ( single place ) to a guy who was a diesel
"nut." He put a diesel engine in it that he said put out about 20
h.p. Don't know the name of the engine, but I do remember him saying
that it came from Italy. I did the test flying for him since he
wasn't familiar with the plane. My "test flying" consisted of low
altitude hops down a 7000 foot runway. He later reported to have put
over 100 hrs. on the plane before he sold it. The engine (
installation ) seemed very simple and it burned ( according to him )
about half a gallon/hr. With an 8 gallon tank...that's 16 hrs flight
time. The only way you could stop the engine was to cut the fuel
supply. The only problem was it vibrated like hell.

Neal

Lombardini? They make a small (~25Hp) diesel 3 cylinder. The only
thing keeping me from putting a Briggs + Stratton (Diahatsu) 3 cyl
diesel in my Quickie is cost. The Diahatsu motor is far smoother and
lighter than the Lombardini or the Kubota. They even make a
turbocharged version that puts out around 32 HP - no PSRU needed.
================
Leon McAtee
Quickie builder - 1/2 VW but thinking about a Wankel

If you're thinking about a half VW, also check out the 1/3 Corvair at
www.ultravair.com. Also, what Wankel have you looked at? I tried to
research rotaries of a small displacement type, but had no luck. Thanks

Neal

Try here for small rotarys...

Gary

Brain fade... see if this helps.

http://www.uavenginesltd.co.uk/

I was involved in a military program that used an engine from this
company. It was nicely done and seemed to perform well. I beleive that
the bird is now in service (UAV).

Gary