Old March 8th 04, 12:25 PM
Stefan

BTIZ wrote:

The bottom line is, the discussion was brought up with the AF T-Bird doing
acro and not computing the altitude needed at the top of a maneuver to
safely pull out above ground level. Some argue to set the altimeter to zero
elevation before takeoff. It just can't be done in many places out west.

The problem is, you usually trainig acro at your home base. So you get
used to the "floor" altitude needed in that place. Chances are that you
get so accostomed to that altitude that you fall back to it even when
you fly at another place. Y This is eliminated by settinig the altimeter
to zero (i.e. QFE). And, btw, I've yet to see an altimeter that can't be
set to QFE even at 5000 ft elevation, but what do I know.

Stefan