View Single Post
Old November 27th 15, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default Is FLARM helpful?

I thought there were two posts worth repeating below and hope everyone takes an honest look. Steve's post was poignant. I did hear the contest committee will require Flarm in stealth mode at contests, if you have one.

Shouldn't preserving life be our highest goal, even more important than winning a contest or being annoyed by the theoretical possibility of someone leaching for a few thermals?

For the price of a parachute you can save two lives.

Steve Koerner wrote:

I was at all three of those contests that Tim mentions. Listening to the radio traffic was nothing compared to listening to the wail of the wife being informed at Uvalde. I went home straight away on the determination that I would never fly another contest day.

The adoption of PowerFlarm allowed me to change that determination.

Someone here just said that they're tired of listening to people oversell PowerFlarm. I say that's not possible.

I find myself quite irritated when there are still typically one or two folks that will show up at a given contest without a PowerFlarm and that they are permitted to fly.

Richard from craggyaero wrote:

I have also observed this situation many times in the Nephi OLC camps and contests. High closure rates and Configuring your PowerFlarm in the Stealth mode would make this situation a safety concern. It would limit the time to respond to a conflict situation. With the Stealth mode off these situation are visible for many miles and evasive action is easy.

Stealth mode on this situation is much more immediate and dangerous with little time to identify, find and respond to the threat.

On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 4:44:04 PM UTC-8, Steve Koerner wrote:

I was at all three of those contests that Tim mentions. Listening to the radio traffic was nothing compared to listening to the wail of the wife being informed at Uvalde. I went home straight away on the determination that I would never fly another contest day.

The adoption of PowerFlarm allowed me to change that determination.

Someone here just said that they're tired of listening to people oversell PowerFlarm. I say that's not possible.

I find myself quite irritated when there are still typically one or two folks that will show up at a given contest without a PowerFlarm and that they are permitted to fly.