Old May 3rd 04, 06:37 PM
Peter R.

NS ) wrote:

I hold an ATP but with a third class medical. A local charity is holding a
silent auction and I am considering donating a sight seeing tour around the
local area. Any comments on whether this will run afoul of 61.139 or other
regulations? I will not be receiving any monetary compensation including no
reimbursement for fuel..

Flying for Hire, or Flying for Charity?

Anyway, last summer I donated a sight-seeing flight to our local Opera
company's annual auction. The winning couple bid US $375 for their two
hour flight in a Cessna 172. All flight expenses were paid by me and their
winning bid went to the Opera.

Prior to offering the flight, I called my FSDO to clear it with them. The
FAA rep not only gave me his blessing, but thanked me for using GA to help
a cause like the Opera.

While certainly not the silver bullet, you would be wise to have your
passengers sign a liability release form. There is a good example of one
at AOPA's web site.

--
Peter