View Single Post
Old January 8th 21, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MQ
external usenet poster

Default SiO2 (Ceramic wax) on sailplanes ?

On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 11:57:50 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 1/8/21 8:06 AM, Jay Campbell wrote:
On Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 6:19:11 PM UTC-5, MMOORE wrote:
The new SiO2 spray on/buff off waxes for cars are amazing. Anyone use this on glass sailplanes ?

It is a silica

No first-hand knowledge, but 3M makes a product for boats. In general, if 3M makes a product, it is the best of all of its competitors. No dog in that particular hunt, but as I contemplate another round of hard wax (and hard work) while we are between seasons, I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a great alternative especially as to ease of application. Anyone knowledgeable, please chime in. Here's a link to the product. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...es+for+gelcoat. Caveat: info says it is suitable for environments not sensitive to silicone and I remember hearing once that silicone can sometimes interfere with fiberglass repairs. What say you, group?

Not this particular product, but I use a spray on wipe off product on my
Stemme. I'm very happy with the ease of application.

Oh, and Fidel says he can repair anything no matter what has been
previously applied. I believe him. His hangar is back to back with
mine and I've seen him work.

--
Dan
5J

Dan

Fidel says that about silicone or anything that inhibits adhesion for a repair while holding up an imaginary angle grinder. If he is repairing your spoiler tops or a control surface it just changes to scuffing that whole surface etc. to ensure a good repair and gelcoat adhesion. If it is for your fuselage, this could and has (for him and others) turned into a bit more of a nightmare scenario with gelcoat not adhering for much larger surface area parts.

Dan's hangar is front-to-front with mine and somehow we both endure. We can all hear those angle grinders going on the ship repairs...currently that is my new ship amongst the others.

Geoff
MQ - 5C