Old October 21st 03, 06:06 PM
Bob McKellar

John Mullen wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
More importantly, we need to reduce the frequency of usage of the Pledge

and
the national anthem. Constant repetition in purely routine and even

trivial
circumstances cheapens them.

One of the worst feelings concerning the flag that I have had was when I

saw a
Cub Scout troop erode the practice of saying the pledge to little more

than a
joke. They used my flag, I taught them how to fold it, etc., but after a

year
or so, the pack leader said we could 'forego the usual ceremony' which he
reduced to a quick pledge, while he held one of those ridiculous little
hand-sized flags (3"x5" on a tiny stick). To him, it made more sense than
"dragging out the big flag every time". I felt more than a little

disgusted
that this former Eagle Scout thought we were wasting time teaching the

basics
of respecting the symbol of our nation.

With all respect Gordon, this sort of 'respecting the symbol of our nation'
is probably very hard for most Europeans to understand. Particularly this
one, to whom the UK flag is a symbol of an Empire whose great days are
behind it, the EU one a symbol of a dream whose time has not yet come, and
the Saltire a symbol of a nation which sold itself out, or was sold out, a
very long time ago.

Just one of the factors which makes it hard for us to understand each other
from the different sides of the Atlantic.

John

Depending on venue, most people think the last line of the National Anthem is
either

"Play Ball!"

or

"Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!"

( Definite RAM content for this one, considering the obligatory flyovers)

Bob McKellar