Old April 9th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Default Have you created anything "home-made" for your plane? (or a low cost alternative?)

"Andy" posted the exciting message
ups.com:

As a new pilot and new owner of a cessna 172, I've noticed the
seeimingly unlimited amount of accessories available for my plane. Most
seem to have one thing in common - a high price tag.

I was wondering if anyone reading this thread would share information
on any devices that are perhaps homemade or are low cost alternatives
to items available in aviation catalogs.

I guess this would include anything from pilot -assist devices to low
cost alternatives to lighting, interior upholstery, and the like.

Thanks in advance for any input you may offer.

Andy.

One thing that bugs me is the high cost of headsets. I've been enjoying
some Sony in-the-ear audio earphones that sound great with my MP3 player.
I did some research and found that if you buy a Radio Shack transformer
you can adapt standard earphones to the impedance of the headset, but I
haven't done this yet.

About the time I was thinking about it, I saw that there are a couple of
very light headsets hitting the GA market, same idea, non active NR, with
in-the-ear design. But they're around $500!!!!!

So what I'm wondering is.... I take my earbud headset, make the adaptor
box with the impedance transformer and a potentiometer for volume, and
then how can I get a cheap microphone and make that work? I'm still
thinking about it; I see that you can get relatively inexpensive headsets
for computers with noise-cancelling microphones for around $50.... I've
been contemplating making my own very light, full function headset.
Anybody have any ideas on this one?

(Yes, I know I'm a cheap bas****, but it's either that or I spend $1000
for a Bose headset!)