Old December 23rd 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Stan Prevost

Default Cleared for the ILS 16 or circle to land 34 question?

Thanks, I knew I should have looked it up first. I have never received
landing instructions other than from a tower, but I see why from the rule.
I haven't had to circle to land at a towered field other than on a
circling-only approach. Approach Control has given me approach clearance,
but left the circling instructions to the tower. The rule is slightly
amgiuous, seems to be written on the assumption that the approach from which
circling will commence is aligned with a runway, and may or may not include
circling-only approaches arriving at 90 degrees to any runway. I will
assume that it was meant to include those approaches also.

On further thought, maybe I lied. Several years ago, I flew an ILS into
KORL with a strong tailwind, circle to land on another runway, at night when
the other ILS was OTS. I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but I
think Orlando Approach (KMCO) sequenced me in and cleared me for the ILS,
told me to expect to circle to land on the other runway, but the tower
actually handled the circling. That was a harrowing experience, with all
the turbulence, and trying to circle over the city and find runway lights
and to follow one or two other aircraft that couldn't be seen amongst the
lights. We certainly had to circle more than 1.3 nm from the runways, but I
can't remember the altitude. I'm pretty sure it was above circling minimum.

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
Stan Prevost wrote:
I'm not sure why JAN approach was giving you landing instructions.
Shouldn't that be left for the HKS tower, after approach control had
sequenced you in for the approach?

Not accoring to 7110.85P:

4-8-6. CIRCLING APPROACH

a. Circling approach instructions may only be given for aircraft landing
at airports with operational control towers.

b. Include in the approach clearance instructions to circle to the runway
in use if landing will be made on a runway other than that aligned with
the direction of instrument approach. When the direction of the circling
maneuver in relation to the airport/runway is required, state the
direction (eight cardinal compass points) and specify a left or right
base/downwind leg as appropriate.