Old December 19th 14, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Spot Landing Competition Rules

On Saturday, August 16, 2014 6:43:48 PM UTC-4, gliderpilotGR wrote:
Hello,

I would be grateful for advice on organising a Spot Landing Competion.
things like scoring / penalties, use of ground markers or "fences". Ideally someone might offer a complete set of contest rules.

Local glider community is interested in a time management / spot landing competition event as a way of stirring up interest and maintaining spectator appeal. I have been tasked to write national level rules to make this happen.

My own preference, in the interest of realism and educational value would be towards setting up simulated fences on the approach and the far end and scoring for a touchdown in relation to the approach fence. However, I am concerned that this may lead to dangerously slow / full brake approaches and heavy landings, either during the event or as bad habits passed on. Objectively penalising such techniques is difficult.

The other alternative is to measure in relation to ground markers only, but I wonder how much space should be marked and how much to penalise each metre / foot beyond the target. IMO, final resting place should not affect results as it encourages wheelbrake use.

I am aware that there are a few suggestion in a 1999 thread, but would appreciate fresh practical advice.
It is likely that Grob 103 Twin IIs will be the main type used. Some single seaters would certainly have an advantage. I suspect one may even work out a handicap system !

Many thanks in advance,

VM

Older post I know, but I can dig up the rules we used for the "Snowbird event" held Thanksgiving weekend at HHSC (Elmira, NY).
It was a combination of:
-Precision duration
-Spot landing/parking
-Altitude gain
......all scored in a single flight. The primary goal (other than fun) was energy management and off field landing practice.

It was a marked off runway (~200' total) that had landing zones, "ditch" and then park to a cone. It forced a reasonably steep approach at the correct speed so you could get the sight angle for the touchdown and not so much speed you needed good brakes to get stopped.

The drawings & rules "may" be on the HHSC website.
Note, many years ago I mentioned to the guys from M&H Soaring that, "The overall winner one year was to be the CD the next year".....I was the CD a few times...
[Thanks Heinz & Monty.....LOL....]

PS, done right, a 2-33 or 1-26 could win the event.