Old February 11th 12, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

On 2/10/2012 8:03 AM, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Feb 10, 5:54 am, wrote:
On Feb 10, 7:26 am, wrote:

What do you mean by "bank indicator (still allowed)" ?

That's his checkbook register. After buying that fancy ASG-29, it's a
pretty small number and hence easy to read in the cockpit. The fear
of damaging damaging such a valuable asset keeps him out of cloud :-).

-T8 (slipping, one bubble off center)

Eric - the issue is not whether or not you need a particular
instrument but whether, since they are going to be included in an
increasing number of multi-use instruments, these should be
prohibited. In nearly 2,000 hours of glider flying, I have only found
the need for a horizon on two occasions, but I was glad to have one!

Your argument could be used for parachutes too - I have never needed
or used mine.

I'm not which Eric you are answering, but parachutes have been used a
few times in contests, but I'm not aware of any accidents that would
have been avoided in contests if a horizon had been installed. So,
pragmatically, requiring parachutes seems like a good idea.

email me)