Old March 28th 18, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Round out and flare with fully open spoilers in a PW-6? Other gliders?

Yep, on my iPad, sorta a PITA to multi quote.

Final may be a "high decent rate, followed by varying horizontal movement to remove energy before touchdown".

My first thought, did you stop before some unmoveable object?
Yes?, great.
No?, sucks.

Flare, flair, roundout, WTF........you are transitioning between a potential high decent rate to a horizontal maneuver where you dissapate the remaining energy. Yes, for those of you that do "Queens English", I left out some letters. ;-)
If you have GREAT brakes, this helps.
Energy management is paramount. Even if you have great brakes, they "may" fail when you count on them the most.

Always, keep in mind, "does it look good, does it sound good, does it feel good?". Yep, I know.......I "thought" I had dumped a full load of water in a -20C going into a field.
Found out LATER, we did work on the system, the dump lever didn't go over center, thus, even though I did my bit, I still landed with FULL WATER in a field on the ridge in PA.
It didn't feel right, didn't sound right, I kept a decent speed.