Old September 30th 18, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Default March and April Soaring...where?

There are a lot of great operations and clubs that can provide a base of operations to fly in the March/April timeframe. I’m a little biased to Seminole Lake. We fly 6 days a week in the commercial operation but if we have 5 pilots who want to fly, we will bring in a tow pilot. To let you know how our weather is, just check the Seniors results, Sailplane Grand Prix results and the 18 Meter Nationals all this year. Tasks were short for the Seniors due to the age of the pilots (I’m one of the over 55 crowd), but we normally fly 300-500k during this period. In April we have flown multiple 700k flights. We also have a good number of racers and XC pilots on the field. It isn’t hard to get a common task set before takeoff.

Our terrain is also very friendly for any XC flight. Lots of airports, great fields with nice farmers, and tow pilots/local pilots that will come and recover you. We have electrical/water hookups for RV’s and a shower in the clubhouse. We also have bunkroom type accommodations on the field.

Now if you want a change from flying you have all the attractions of the Orlando area. Parks, restaurants, sports, and super night life. Disney is only 20 minutes from the gliderport.

The 29th Senior Soaring Championship starts on 8 March and runs thru the 15th. During this time we don’t allow any visiting pilots to fly. You could enter the contest, fly locally and fly the Region 5 North contest in April. Great times and super Flying is waiting for you.

Cheers,
Rich Owen
ZO