Old December 14th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Default FYI Bio zoom ZZZZZZZZ

Todd,

Thank you for the clarification. I knew the NAA had a relationship with the
FAI and that the SSA also. However, I didn't know it was SSA - NAA - FAI.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Al G" wrote:

The NAA is a US organization that sanctions and records US records. I am a
member and hold 3 records. There are several National record categories
that
do not exist on a World Level, economy records for instance.

World records are sanctioned and recorded by the FAI. (Note the period)
The
FAI is the ONLY internationally recognized authority. If you hold a World
record, I hold 2, your record is recorded by the FAI.

Al G is correct here, but I'll add something to the
relationships. The FAI sanctions all aviation world
records. The FAI appoints a national organization for each
country, and that org in the US is the NAA. The NAA can
then pass authority for some areas to other organizations.
The NAA has passed authority for glider records to the SSA
(Soaring Society of America). Technically, world records
pass from the SSA to the NAA, or from the NAA directly, to
the FAI.

The NAA/SSA handle National records and can do so in
categories other than the categories recognized by the FAI.
In the SSA they even have state records. I held 4 of those
at various times (altitude and speed), flew a national
record once that lasted about 24 hours (distance), so never
was submitted, and even made a couple of world record
attempts that required advance declaration, so I'm familiar
with the process and organizations involved.

I have no idea if Guinness recognizes any aviation records,
but I have my doubts that they would recognize aviation
related altitude records that were not also recognized by
the FAI.

Was this attempt in an aircraft outside of the established categories?
How?

Was this record attempt sanctioned by either organization?

Were there some kind of witnesses?

You can't just fly something somewhere and claim you hold a "World Record"
doing it.

I agree with Al completely. If someone claims a world
record, there should be something to back it up.

--
T o d d P a t t i s t
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.