Old August 23rd 10, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default leading edge templates

On Aug 22, 7:25*pm, glider wrote:
Several years ago, we made templates along the leading edge of a
popular standard class sailplane . The particular sailplane was a
winner. It was shocking to compare the left and right wing contours
with these templated. Close? Not at all. But the sailplane went very
well.
*Then we did the same on another sailplane by another manufacturer.
The templates were identical left and right. Mirror image. As made in
a machine. Perfect. This particular sailplane *never did well. Not a
winner.
*Conclusion?
*set the flame on low,
*Thanks,
*GA

I have seen the same thing.
Obviously some airfoils ars more sensitive to manufacturing errors
than others. Std Cirrus seems to be one of those. When carefully
perfected they seem to improve a good bit. Revised handicaps used in
WGC reflets this, I suspect.
UH