Old February 3rd 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Pitot Heat Failure in a Piper

Aaron Coolidge wrote:
: The heating elements - there are 2 in the pitot tube - are supposedly
: not repairable. I had one bad heating element a few years ago and a
: new heated pitot tube from DMFS was "only" about $250. If the pitot tube
: is replaced you are supposed to re-do the transponder/IFR cal as you are
: "opening the static system".

Supposed to be, perhaps. When we upgraded to a heated pitot on our PA28, we
bought a salvage one with dead heaters. I forget where we bought replacement heaters,
but they basically slid out and slid in new ones. They were pretty pricey for what
they were ($100 for the two comes to mind). If necessary I can try to look up where I
got them, but I'd agree a wiring troubleshoot is in order first.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *