Old July 3rd 12, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

Default The "offical" LXNAV V7 thread

On Monday, July 2, 2012 5:51:03 PM UTC-4, Rhubarb wrote:

There are so many settings its a bit of a jungle.Aand changes only get saved if you remember to
power it down using the knob (why?).

Because the idea is to set it up once (while on the ground) rather than to mess with the settings in flight.

MC, bugs, ballast, altitude etc get lost so that is a no-no unfortunately

I agree, these things should be saved. I think that ground elevation will be saved eventually - I suggested that and LXNAV seemed OK with that idea.

This also means that you cannot pre-setup stuff like ballast on the grid and then power down to
save batteries.

Yes. Tell LXNAV. They're quite responsive.

I miss a polar degradation setting.

Me too.

I miss a volume setup which changes the vario volume automatically with airspeed. It is 2012
and I am still having to adjust the volume in different phases of the flight!

+1

I want to see the glider battery voltage - in volts eg 12.3 .

There will be something like that in a future version (on a separate screen).

Its a pity the V7 cannot offer a backup navigation facility a bit more advanced then the current
"take me home functionality".

Actually, if your GPS source sends waypoint coordinates, then the V7 will navigate to those. A Volkslogger with a task declaration would do this, for instance.

That said, I don't waste the display on NAV data. On a separate screen (easy to get to), sure. And that's actually something that I think might happen in the near future.