Old April 26th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Default NY Times Story on Pilot Population Decline

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Could it be that Americans are working longer hours?

And is it possible that the increase in hours worked don't equate to
more disposable income?

Yes, and yes. While I don't think that the reasons you mentioned are the
primary reasons, I do think they play a part. Salaries are indeed higher but
so are the housing prices. A "starter" house in Long Island, NY for example
is around $450K. Paying for that mortgage while bringing up a family leaves
little room to blow $7K on a year's worth of flight training.

The article mentions a number of factors and it's interesting in that they
are all for the most part true and all contribute to the problem.

Marco