Old October 28th 05, 01:29 AM
Larry Dighera

Default ABC News - Flying is a US Freedom

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:19:35 GMT,
wrote in ::

Anyone else see the online commentary by John Nance that it is a
freedom to be able to fly a plane?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Flyin...ory?id=1251850

"While descriptions of the freedom of flight seem more attuned to
the roaring '20s and the age of barnstormers and daredevil airmail
pilots, what we had in those more innocent days we still have — in
spades.

America, in aviation terms, is truly a unique land of endless
opportunity. While most nations in the free world allow some
private flying, many countries make it a difficult freedom to
exercise, weeding out all but a few would-be private pilots with
high costs and higher taxes, a scarcity of airports, and an
abundance of oppressive rules and regulations about where a mere
individual pilot can go.

Flying for the pure joy of it, in other words, tends to be
primarily the province of North Americans (with Australia being a
close second)

[...]

That's a freedom we mustn't take for granted."

Nance needs to deliver that message on the floor of Congress.