Old June 17th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default IS-28B2 Twin Lark status

On Jun 16, 2:50*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
We are trying to determine the status of this glider at our field.

It appears that this aircraft (which was built in 1997) had an
airworthiness limitation of 20 years, which took it to 1997. *However,
there was a 15 year extension that took it to 2012.

Assuming I have my facts right, the question is whether there will be
another extension that takes it beyond 2012.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

What I understand is that the current life limit extensions for the US
gives us 35 years from date of manufacture for the standard
airworthyness certificate. To comply with this requires documentation
of a simple but comprehensive corrosion inspection. IAR or other US
Lark owners may be able to supply the necessary forms.

If a Lark owner doesn't want to do the inspection paperwork or has a
Lark older than 35 years the certificate can be registered
Experimental for as long as needed. Under that designation there is
no life limitation in the US though you then cant use it for
commercial purposes.

Austrialians have done an extensive study of the Lark airframe and
have determined that it is a very robust structure that is worthy of
further life extension. Perhaps someone there will provide more
details here.

Matt Michael
former owner Lark 28DG