Old July 17th 03, 06:02 AM
The Enlightenment

Stephen Harding wrote in message ...
ArtKramr wrote:

They were called GSAP cameras for Gun Sight Aiming Point. And all our fighters
had them. They took 16mm film in magazines.

Do you know how the GSAP cameras actually worked?

I believe I've seen sequences where the film is clearly still running
after the shooting has stopped, so I'm thinking pulling the trigger
started the film rolling, and then it would run a few secs after the
trigger was released.

Did they ever put gun cameras on bombers?

I certainly recall a few famous shots. The FW190 pilot who after
jetisoning his canopy and pushing himself clear of his aircraft is
seen (from the waist gunners position on a B17 I think) with his arms
flailing in the wind. Don't know if he made it.

Then there is a picture form a German gun camera. Looks like Mk108
30mm chewing up a B17s starboard engine nacel: the undercarriage is
blown clear of. There seems to be a clock in the corner of their
film.

I'd suppose not since there
would be a lot of guns to record, and the wide angle of action would
make for a more complicated camera mounting system.

How about your B-26's with the fixed gun packs up front? Did a GSAP
go with that installation?

SMH