Old May 17th 20, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Wouldn't it be easier to design an electrical detach of tow rope by a button on the stick or throttle. This way the tow pilot decides and it would take a fraction of a second to activate. As stated before, helicopters use both a stick mounted electronic release and a stick mounted Manuel release.. Full disclaimer, I am not a tow pilot, not a mechanic, can afford new tape each time I assemble, and I don't unbuckle to stand up in flight to untangle yaw strings. A few days ago I would have thought that was normal, now I am confused.

Hi Jonathan,

there was an attempt to discuss just a solution like that in the 'KGARS - Kiting Glider Automatic Release System' thread on May 15 but it got buried in the chatter.
I think that an electrically triggered system utilizing a capped switch (uncapped (armed) at the beginning of the launch, capped (secured) after the glider has released) has merits over some complicated self-releasing mechanism with all sorts of electronics, which harbors the potential of inadvertently dumping a glider on the other side of the airport fence. Apply the KISS-principle.

Uli
'AS'