Old October 20th 19, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default If you were planning a Safari...

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 11:32:53 PM UTC-7, CindyB wrote:
Matt, partly it depends on the months of the trip, and the number of fly vs tourist days you want.

Tehachapi is open many days a week. The site offers thermalling exits to the Sierra, the transverse ranges back to Santa Ynez/Hollister, and the 'death dive' into the San Joaquin with some days a return. On lovely mountain wave days they often decline to tow, having capping over issues.
Town services adjacent 2-3 miles.

Crystal is open many days a week. Thermalling, shear line flying on both ends of the San Gabriel's- with exits north to Sierras or NE to Lost Wages being the most popular routes. Town 10 miles.

Santa Ynez seldom tows other than Sat/Sun. Thermalling north and northeast both doable. Marine air washes in pretty heavy. Wave from either north or south ranges.
Town close & expensive.

Inyokern is a club. Will tow SSA members. Usually weekends only, some Fridays. Town 10.

Warner Springs in NE San Diego county offers thermalling to the N, into the desert for strong xc pilots. Some wave. Open 7 days. Town 15.

Lake Elsinore and Hemet have 2 strong clubs. Maybe not mentally set up for 'outside' towing. Thermals/convergence.

You can get contact info for each site thru Where To Fly map on ssa.org.
To see what style flying from each, use site names on OLC and look at local flights.

Region 12 has a huge variety of soaring depending on season. Welcome!

Cindy B

Hey Cindy, thanks for all the great suggestions. I plan to go in the spring next year. I am a reasonably experienced XC pilot, with a Diamond, and a dozen regional contests under my belt.

Matt