Old July 18th 04, 07:08 PM
Martin Kosina

The tanks are 41 gallons, so allow for 240 lbs useable fuel,
which would give you a total load of about 890 lbs.

Those are some pretty poor numbers for a new, 4-place design. This
airplane would not meet my regular travel needs, i.e. IFR trips between
Mobile and Houston. On most trips, at least west bound, I'd need to
make a fuel stop.

It is pretty short range; about 600 nm with reserves. I think of the
airplane as having the payload of a 172 with the speed and roominess of a
182. They do offer extended range tanks that hold 53 gallons.

I happened to get a ride in a DA-40 yesterday as well, no G1000, and
nothing as thorough as CJ, but it did give me an idea about
performance, which I was curious about We had two 200lb adults and 36
gallons on board. At sea level, ~75F, the Star climbed out at
800-900fpm and cruised about 125 indicated at 2000' at 23/2400, so
about 130TAS there, making the qouted 140K at altitude believeable.
The fuel flow was just a little over 9gph at that setting.
Acceleration on takeoff was very good thanks to the CS prop.

Great numbers, although to be completely honest, primed by marketing
enthusiasm, I expected just a bit more. Alas, composites or not, given
a certain HP loading, I suppose there is no free lunch, only little
better deals. But, I think they have found a nice market niche, these
will make popular IFR trainers and FBO rental planes. For private
owners, its a great option, but not completely clear cut, other
factors come into play. (This is not a plane I'd want to land on a
narrow dirt runway with tall brush on either side, for example.) I
don't think its an automatic Cessna killer (not even a 172SP, and
certainly not a 182), but it will give the lower-end 180hp fleet run
for their money, especially the low-wing Archer and Tiger, neither of
which has a CS prop (a bigger detriment than dated spam-can
construction, IMHO).

Overall, a very nice cruiser, loading-wise short of a 182 (d'oh), but
well above a 172. The performance is very similar to my 177B, although
the Star will walk away from it at altitude by up to 10 knots. (I do
agree that 41 gallons is not enough for the O-360 mill, I suspect the
larger tanks will be a popular option).