Old July 25th 12, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Hello? Any oldtimers around?

Andy Hawkins wrote:
Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
Dependence? Assuming VFR flight, then all these 'uncertified' gizmos are
just backup for traditional Nav.

The temptation can be strong to use backup as primary.

Yes, but that is true in all walks of life. It's all about discipline.

I admit to sometimes leaning on my GPS more than I would like, which is why
I regularly fly with the GPS covered up to make sure my 'traditional' NAV
skills are still up to scratch.

Andy

The point MX misses is that there is no such thing as a Nav device certified
for VFR flight other than the Mark I eyeball and a chart; everything else
is backup for VFR flight.