Old November 5th 03, 11:50 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 11/5/03 2:19 AM, in article ,
"José Herculano" wrote:

Looking at what an F/A-22 (single seater) and a B-2 (twin-seater) can do,

find it harder and harder to justify a thing like an F/A-18F....

I might agree with you if either were carrier-capable. g

Guess I was not literate enough on my point... what I meant is that I do not
believe on the advantages of the F/A-18F vs the F/A-18E. If such advanced
weapons systems as the two Air Force birds allow for a revolucionary fighter
to be flown by one, and a huge bomber just by two, there is no call for a
twin-seat Super-Bug.

Jose',

I'd agree with you all the way up to the air-to-air mission. Most of the
Tomcat converts I know claim that the RIO sucked SA away from the pilot...
BUT when AESA comes on line, and the folks at Boeing split up the cockpit,
the WSO in will have plenty to do that the pilot would never be able to
handle by himself.

--Woody

And remember that the current squadrons deploying at sea with the F/A-18F
have rear cockpits that are barely different from the front ones... the
advanced rear cockpit is yet to fly operationaly. I don't believe the F can
turn a real advantage over the E.
José Herculano