Old May 22nd 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Soft field landings - low wing vs high wing aircraft

On May 21, 6:10 pm, Justin Gombos
wrote:
I was thinking low wing planes would be favorable for landing on a
grass strip, because the extra ground effect could mitigate hard
landings and keep the ride smooth. But I recently read that some
fields are rough enough that rocks, bushes and debris can hit or snag
on the flaps.

I'm interested in hearing which configuration folks prefer for turf
strips - as well as other factors that might make one plane more
suitable than another for grass strips. Or is everything negligable?

I've seen some planes fitted with quad runner off-roading type tires
for landing on very rough terrain.. but that would be overkill in my
case.

--
PM instructions: do a C4esar Ciph3r on my address; retain punctuation.

When I flew out of a rough grass strip the high wings were at a clear
advantage (I was flying an Aeronca and a Swift). The low wing planes
would often get rock dings on the leading edge but the high wings were
always fine.

-robert, CFII